1. What is a permanent emigration withdrawal?

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a permanent emigration withdrawal?

You may withdraw your money from the Scheme (excluding any Government Contributions) one year after you have permanently emigrated from New Zealand (except if you are moving to Australia - see below).  Your Government Contributions are repaid to Inland Revenue.

Alternatively, at any time after you have permanently moved overseas (except to Australia - see below), you may direct us to transfer your investment (excluding your Government Contributions) to an overseas superannuation scheme authorised for that purpose by regulations made under the KiwiSaver Act.

Your Government Contributions in either circumstance will be repaid to Inland Revenue.

To do this you will need to complete a statutory declaration stating that you have permanently emigrated from New Zealand.  You must also prove to our satisfaction your departure from New Zealand, and that you have resided at an overseas address at some time during the year following your departure from New Zealand. Contact us for more information by email at info@generatekiwisaver.co.nz or by calling us on 0800 855 322.

Moving to Australia

If you permanently emigrate to Australia:

  • you will not be permitted to make a cash withdrawal on the basis of permanent emigration; but
  • you will be permitted to transfer your full KiwiSaver savings (including the Government Contributions) to an Australian complying superannuation scheme, provided your KiwiSaver savings are below any maximum transfer amount required by Australian legislation.

Please contact us for more information about accessing your money when moving to Australia by email to info@generatekiwisaver.co.nz or by calling us on 0800 855 322.