1. Who can certify my ID and proof of address?

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can certify my ID and proof of address?

All KiwiSaver scheme applicants need to have copies of their documents certified by an Approved Person (see the list below) as being a true copy of the original document and that they represent the identity of the applicant or parent/guardian.

Approved persons who are able to certify:

  • An employee or agent (including advisers who have agreed to be our agent for this purpose) of Generate.
  • Justice of the Peace or Notary Public
  • Registered teacher
  • Lawyer
  • Chartered accountant
  • Police officer
  • Registered medical doctor
  • Member of parliament
  • Any other person who has the legal authority to witness statutory declarations in New Zealand

Approved persons must be over the age of 16 and cannot be:

  • your spouse or partner;
  • a person who lives at the same address as you; or
  • related to you, e.g. a parent, sibling, child, aunt, uncle or cousin.

The original form of identification must be viewed by the Approved Person who then compares it with a photocopied, scanned or photographed version. The Approved Person then signs and dates the copy and prints their name and occupation alongside the following statement:

"I certify this to be a true copy of the original document and confirm that it represents the identity of (full name of the applicant or parent/guardian)."

This certification can also be made on the application form under Certification of Identity in the Adviser information section.

Certification must have been carried out in the 3 months prior to the presentation of the copied documents. If you already have certified documents within this time frame, they will be acceptable. Certified copies must be entirely legible and the photos clear.