Watch our Investment Update - December 2023 (video)
Watch our latest Investment Update video to hear Global Equities Research Analyst, Daniel Cloete, give us an update on the performance of the global markets at the end of 2023 and look into what we can expect in 2024.
Some of the key takeouts from the video include:
- The World Index went up 4.8% in December while the SP500 went up 4.4% after US Federal Reserve suggested that interest rates might decrease in 2024.
- 2023 was a good example of why it’s important to stay the course even when things look tough. The World Index increased 22% after falling 19% in 2022, despite widespread predictions of a global recession – the lesson is that global markets can rebound quickly!
- Markets are still debating whether there will be a hard landing or a soft landing.
- Our portfolios are positioned to respond to either hard landing or soft landing scenarios because we have the tools ready to deploy in either situation.
- December inflation data for the US was a little higher than expected, but global markets shrugged this off and remain very close to achieving all-time highs.