Your KiwiSaver contribution rate is a key factor in determining how much money you could have saved up at retirement.
If you’re an employee, you can choose to contribute 3%, 4%, 6%, 8% or even 10% of your pay to your KiwiSaver account. While the difference between these rates may seem small, over time it can really add up!
To see the impact changing your contribution rate could have, try our KiwiSaver calculator.
There are a couple different ways that you can change your contribution rate:
1. Change your contribution rate with your employer
You can change your contribution rate by filling out a KS2 form (KiwiSaver Deduction Form), and submitting it to your employer.
For help filling in the KS2 form visit the IRD website.
2. Change your contribution rate on the IRD website
- Log into myIR
- Under their main summary page on KiwiSaver member, select ‘More’
- Under the ‘Manage account’, select ‘Change KiwiSaver contribution rate’
Note: If you have multiple employers, make sure to select each of them and update the new contribution rate.
- Select ‘OK’ and follow the confirmation steps.
What happens next?
After your request is submitted, the IRD will let your selected employers know that your KiwiSaver contribution rate needs changing.
The rate in your myIR account will be updated when your employer informs the IRD that they are using your new contribution rate.